Managing risk and effectively navigating barriers when entering the market is integral to every company’s success in Sudan. SCLO has extensive and varied experience working with foreign companies on all aspects of their business in Sudan.
Our resourceful team works side by side with our clients to help them thrive in Sudan. From tactical planning all the way through to the due diligence s. Our firm has deep knowledge of Sudan’s business and legal climate. Our foreign clients benefit from our on-the-ground presence, stellar reputation, and extensive business and civic contacts.
We are frequently asked to render legal opinions regarding joint ventures. Our expertise is particularly sought out by foreign investors in Sudan, who require Sudanese legal assistance in incorporating limited liability companies, evaluating funding options, and management structuring.
SCLO is a recognised leader in M&A work in Sudan. We were recognised as “Best Corporate and M&A Law Firm 2018 – Sudan” and honoured with Acquisition International’s Global Excellence Award. We have advised parties on all aspects of acquisition transactions, including share purchase agreements (SPAs). We have experience on both the buyer and seller sides of M&A transactions.
Among SCLO’s recent successes is acting for Hikma Pharmaceuticals plc on their acquisition of Elie Pharmaceuticals, one of the largest pharmaceuticals factories in Sudan. Our work has also included:
· Setting up a Sudanese company with 100% foreign ownership
· Conducting comprehensive legal due diligence for a major cross-border merger in the telecommunications sector
· Drafting and negotiating share purchase agreements
· Obtaining consent from the Investment Authority for acquisitions
· Counselling clients on the compliance of their acquisition transactions with the nuances of Sudanese business practice and custom
· Advising on the navigation of international financial sanctions and Sudanese foreign currency controls
· Transferring land titles to purchasers
· Advising clients on compliance issues relating to regulatory requirements for the Sudanese National Council for Drugs and Poisons
· Transferring ownership of over one hundred trademarks to a purchaser
· Achieving a precedent-setting decision granting the foreign owner of a company distribution rights in Sudan
We have previously guided a business-building infrastructure by advising a client in the pharmaceutical space on a significant upgrade to their factory and store warehouse. This was to incorporate state-of-the-art technology. Our role also included advising on the construction contract, toll manufacturing agreement, and an operational loan that included a corporate guarantee for a sister company.
We also recently worked with one of London’s magic-circle law firms, advising an multinational telecommunications giant on an acquisition. This included conducting full legal and commercial due diligence, and advising on aspects of competition law, corporate finance, contracts, employment law, company law, and telecommunications regulations.
Many of our clients retain us as their external legal advisors to support the operation of their business. We offer annual retainer agreement options. If you would like to learn more a bout this, we are always happy to discuss this with you.