Our extensive Public Private Partnership (PPP) experience includes acting on numerous high-profile projects in Sudan.
SCLO’s Founder and Managing Partner, Wael Abdin, counselled the World Bank Group on the provision of PPP support to the Republic of Sudan. Mr. Abdin was appointed as National Legal Expert by Castalia Advisors on its ‘Provision of PPP Support for the Republic of Sudan’ consultancy project for the World Bank Group. He drafted a report in collaboration with Castalia Advisors on the current legal, regulatory, and policy regimes governing PPPs, private sector participation, and private and foreign investment in infrastructure. Mr. Abdin identified measures directed at bridging the legal, regulatory and policy gaps in Sudan’s PPP framework and recommended ways to overcome the barriers to private sector participation. The SCLO team supported Castalia Advisors in its drafting of a PPP bill for Sudan, ensuring the bill’s compatibility with the Sudanese legal system.
SCLO's work in this field has included:
- Serve as national legal experts in consultations conducted by international development institutions including the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the World Bank Group and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
- We worked as national legal experts for Landell Mills, to establish and operate the Public-Private Partnership Unit to market the Sudan Livestock Fund's Al Samoud Program. SCLO advises on the development and structuring of banking transactions that correspond to specific value chains with the aim of facilitating private investment in construction and maintenance operations in the agricultural sector under PPP contracts. This multi-stage project includes conducting a legal review of institutional responsibilities and regulatory frameworks and recommending legal and policy reforms in line with best practices adopted by other countries.
- Consulting Siemens on many issues in Sudan
- Consulting the New Khartoum International Airport in its proposed project to build a fuel storage facility under a build, operate and transfer Contract.
- Advising the Khartoum State Water Corporation on a build-operate-transfer project, Al-Manara Water Project, valued at €87 million.
- Mr. Abdin authored the Sudan chapter at Chambers & Partners' Project Financing Guide